October 19, 2015 DAY 43 OF 180
STUARTS DRAFT HIGH SCHOOL
HAPPY BOSSES’ DAY TO OUR PRINCIPALS!! WISH THEM A GREAT DAY AND THANK THEM FOR ALL THEY DO TO MAKE OUR SCHOOL ONE OF THE BEST!
COUGAR RETURN IS BACK TO BLOCK 1 TODAY
THERE IS NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS ON FRIDAY DUE TO PARENT CONFERENCES. PARENT CONFERENCES ARE SCHEDULED FOR WEDNESDAY EVENING FROM 6 – 8 PM AND ON FRIDAY FROM 8:30 – 11:30 AM. PLEASE MAKE YOUR PARENTS AWARE. NO APPOINTMENTS ARE NECESSARY; THEY MAY COME AT THEIR CONVENIENCE.
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL WHO HELPED WITH AND ATTENDED THE HOMECOMING FESTIVITIES THIS WEEKEND. FROM ALL INDICATIONS EVERYTHING WENT WELL AND EVERONE HAD A GREAT TIME. WE APPRECIATE HOW WELL BEHAVED YOU ALL WERE! THANKS FOR MAKING THIS A GREAT HOMECOMING!
DATES TO REMEMBER:
Oct. 21 Senior Meeting during Cougar Return
Oct. 21 Parent Conferences 6- 8 pm
Oct. 23 No School for Students Parent Conferences 8:30 – 11:30 am
Oct. 28 9th Grade Orientation to the SDHS Counseling Department Cougar Return Auditorium
Oct. 30 Early Childhood Class Harvest Party
Oct. 31 YADAPP Screamin’for Treats in the Cougar Den 3:30 – 5:30
Nov. 1 Daylight Savings Time ends, move clocks back 1 hour when you go to bed on Saturday night
Nov 4 & 5 11th Grade Post High School Planning during Cougar Return (Split Alphabetically) Auditorium
Nov. 7 SAT Testing
Nov. 10 Jostens will be here during lunches to take graduation item order LAST TIME AT SDHS!
Nov. 10 Veterans Day Assembly
DO YOU KNOW…….?
TODAY’S QUESTION: What is the largest of the Great Lakes in North America?
YESTERDAY’S QUESTION: Who crossed Niagara Falls on a tightrope in 1859? Charles Blondin
1) Jostens will be back Nov. 10 to take graduation orders. If you have not placed your order yet for your cap and gown and other items, please get this taken care of. This will be the last time Jostens will be here; you will have to do it online and the price goes up considerably after Dec. 1. We are changing the design of the gown this year so you will not be able to wear a brothers or sisters from previous years.
2) Seniors will have a meeting on Wednesday, Oct. 21 during Cougar Return with Mrs. Wangler, the Career Coach and Mrs. Boward with the GRASP program.
1) If you need BEHIND THE WHEEL, please see Coach Kirby, Coach Johnson or Coach Floyd ASAP.
2) ATTENTION ALL TEACHERS AND STUDENTS! If you have a friend or family member who has or is currently serving in the military, the SDHS Leadership Class would love to invite them to our Veterans’ Day Assembly on Nov. 10th. Please see Mrs. Bateman in Room 45 for more information.
3) The yearbook staff needs your help capturing this school year in photos! We can’t be everywhere and know we are missing great photo of school and out of school activities. Download the FREE REPLAY IT app and start sharing your action shots. Your photos may be featured in this year’s yearbook!
4) FREE AND REDUCED LUNCH forms need to be turned into the office immediately. What you were using from last year has now expired and a new one must be filled out if you have not already done so. You can pick up a form in the office.
5) Do you have trouble remembering your best high school memories? Do you want to keep those memories close without having to take your photos? Then buy a yearbook!! They only cost $65 and are keepsakes that will last forever. Remember though, this is a limited time offer so get your yearbook ordered before Oct. 31. It’s easy! Just go to www.Jostens.com and keep your memories forever!
6) Attentions students going on the FBLA field trip tomorrow please check in with your lst block teacher and report to the lobby by the main office by 8:10 am. Dress warm!!!
7) CONGRATULATIONS to the SDHS Marching Band for a wonderful performance on Satuerday. They competed with over 40 bands at JMU and won lst place Color Guard, Fan Favorite and 5th place overall in Class 1A!
1) There will be an information meeting TOMORROW, October 20th at 8 am in Room 17 for those athletes interested in competing in Indoor track this winter.
2) There will be a boys’ basketball meeting on Thursday at 8 AM in the New Gym. Boys planning on trying out for JV or Varsity as well as returning players should attend this meeting.
3) GOOD LUCK to the Varsity Football team as they take on Wilson tonight! GOOD LUCK also to the Cross Country team as they travel to Luray on Saturday!
4) GOOD LUCK to the Competition Cheerleaders at the Conference meet tonight here at SDHS. GO, COUGARS!!
SCHOOL COUNSELING INFORMATION:
DID YOU KNOW THE SDHS COUNSELING DEPARATMENT NOW HAS THEIR OWN TWITTER ACCOUNT? PLEASE FOLLOW THEM FOR IMPORTANT REMINDERS AND INFORMATION @SDHSGuidance!
1) Any10th grader interested in applying to Governor's School next year can sign up to shadow either the STEM or Arts program. Come see your School Counselor for the needed information to do a "Spend a Day" there.
2) ATTENTION SOPHOMORES: Application are being accepted for the 2016 HOBY Youth Leadership Seminar which will be held at JMU June 3-5. Applications are due by Dec. 4. See your guidance counselor for more information.
3) Any 10th grader interested in shadowing at the Valley Career and Technical center needs to see their guidance counselor to sign up. Sign up early before all time slots are taken.
4) Juniors and seniors, need to learn more about your college options? Plan now to attend AN INFORMATIONAL SESSION with a speaker from JMU on Thursday, Oct. 29th at 6pm at Robert E Lee High School in Staunton. Free pizza, college planning tips, and $500 scholarships! Learn more at collegenights.org or see Mrs. Wangler, career coach.
5) Students interested in the 2016 Governor’s Summer Residential Program need to complete the interest application located on the Augusta County Gifted Education Webpage by Nov. 1. For more information about the Summer Residential Governor's Schools refer to the Augusta County Public Schools Gifted Education website.
All college visits are held during Cougar Return and is open for all Juniors & Seniors. This is an excellent opportunity for all interested students to meet with College Admissions Counselors and get a first hand account of what the school is looking for in an application and what programs are offered.
Students must get a pass from Mrs. Halterman PRIOR to the day of the visit!
DETENTION Begins at 3:20 and runs until 4:00 pm No Detention on Mondays and Fridays.
1) Detention will be with Coach Gale in Room 17 on Tuesday and Wednesday and with Mrs. Childress in Room 58 on Thursday.
MONDAY TUESDAY WEDNESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY
Chicken Patty on Bun Taco w/ cheese Chicken Alfredo Salisbury Steak w/ roll NO SCHOOL
Beef Teriyaki Bites Ham & turkey Roll Meatball sub Meatloaf