Pumpkin Pear Waffles
Calories: 122, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 116mg, Dietary Fiber: 3g, Total Fat: 2g, Carbs: 22g, Sugars: 7g, Cholesterol: 71mg, Protein: 5g
1 cup(s) flour, whole-wheat pastry
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
2 egg(s), beaten
2 tablespoon sugar, brown
1/2 cup(s) pumpkin, pureed
1/4 cup(s) pear(s), finely diced
1. Mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Beat together the eggs and sugar. Add in the flour mixture. Fold in the pumpkin and pear. Pour batter into a hot waffle iron coated with nonstick cooking spray and cook until waffles are crisp and browned. The batter will make 3 waffles.
Makes 4 servings
1. Mix wheat germ and 1 teaspoon basil in plastic bag. Add 1 chicken breast half at a time and shake until evenly coated.
2. Spray 10-inch nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken in skillet 10 minutes, turning once, until golden brown.
3. Mix 1/4 cup hot water and the bouillon granules; pour into skillet. Cover and cook 5 to 10 minutes longer or until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm. Remove any chicken coating from skillet.
4. Heat 1/4 cup water to boiling in skillet; add lemon juice. Cook garlic in liquid in skillet 30 seconds. Stir in remaining ingredients except rice. Cover and cook over medium heat about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Spoon vegetables over rice. Serve with chicken.
Actually Delicious Turkey Burgers
Parmesan Baked Chicken Breasts
Prep Time: 7 mins
Cook Time: 26 mins
1/3 cup(s) bread crumbs, Italian-style
1/4 cup(s) cheese, Parmesan, grated
1/4 teaspoon pepper, black
2 clove(s) garlic, pressed
2 tablespoon oil, olive
24 ounce(s) chicken breast halves, 4 (6-oz) skinless, boneless breasts
1/2 cup(s) spaghetti sauce, fire-roasted tomato-and-garlic pasta sauce (such as Classico), warmed
2. Heat a large baking sheet in oven for 5 minutes.
3. Combine first 3 ingredients in a shallow dish.
4. Place garlic and oil in a small glass bowl, and microwave at HIGH 30 seconds or until warm and fragrant.
5. Dip chicken in garlic oil; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Coat preheated baking sheet with cooking spray, and place chicken on pan. Coat chicken with cooking spray.
6. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until done and golden. Serve with pasta sauce.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and 2 tablespoons pasta sauce).
Nutritional Info (Per serving):
Calories: 295, Saturated Fat: 2g, Sodium: 388mg, Dietary Fiber: 0.5g, Total Fat: 10g, Carbs: 7g, Cholesterol: 101mg, Protein: 41.5g
“Healthified" Chocolate Frosted Cupcakes
65% less sat fat • 46% fewer calories • 67% less fat than the original recipe.
Serving a healthy dessert at your next party? Let them eat cupcakes!
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 1 hour 20 min
Makes: 12 cupcakes
1 Cupcake: Calories 230 (Calories from Fat 70); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 4 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 130mg; Total Carbohydrate 38g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 26g); Protein 3g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 6% Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2 1/2
Note: You don't have to peel the zucchini before shredding it for this recipe. It won't affect the taste and the peel will provide some extra fiber.
Prep time: 30 minutes
What you need:
1½ c. shredded zucchini (about 2 small)
2 c. whole-grain pancake or biscuit mix
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
¾ c. brown sugar
¼ c. unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
powdered sugar (enough to dust the muffins)
What to do:
1. Wash zucchini and remove ends.
2. Shred zucchini using largest holes on grater.
3. Wrap grated zucchini in a couple of paper towels and squeeze to remove water.
4. Measure 1½ cups of squeezed-dry zucchini.
5. Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
6. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
7. In a large bowl, mix whole-grain pancake mix (or biscuit mix) with spices.
8. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, applesauce, and lemon juice.
9. Fold the egg-sugar mixture and shredded zucchini into the pancake-spice mixture; do not overmix.
10. Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with batter.
11. Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden.
12. Remove muffins from tin (with help from your adult assistant) and cool on a wire rack.
13. Sprinkle muffins with a dusting of powdered sugar.
How much does this recipe make?
About a dozen muffins.