Dual Enrollment Information
    Resources for Dual Enrollment and Concurrent Enrollment Students:
    For information about acquiring materials for your Dual Enrollment or Concurrent Enrollment Course, check out these short videos for guidance!
    Please contact our Career Coach, Sarah Morris, or your class instructor with questions.  
    Purpose – To provide a wide range of course options for high school students in Academic and Career & Technical Education (CTE) areas to meet the requirements for high school graduation while simultaneously earning college credit. Dual enrollment promotes rigorous educational pursuits and encourages learning as a lifelong process. 

    Eligibility - High school juniors and seniors that demonstrate academic readiness for collegiate work may enroll in dual enrollment courses. Exceptions may be considered for sophomore students who are able to demonstrate readiness for college level coursework through the community college's established institutional policies. Because enrolling sophomore students are considered exceptional, each sophomore student will be treated on a case-by-case basis which requires formal approval by the college president. The president’s decision will be based on the evidence provided that documents readiness for the course(s) for which enrollment is requested. 

    Students who wish to enroll in DE English must also complete the College Preparedness Test (VPT) at Blue Ridge Community College. Testing is not needed if the student meets the following requirements:


    • SAT scores of 560/Critical Reading and /Writing, 550 Math
    • PSAT scores of 390 in Reading and Writing and 500 in Math
    • ACT scores of 18/English Writing 18/Reading 22/Math


    Students participating in dual enrollment courses are governed by the policies and procedures of the college.

    Credit – Upon successful completion of the dual enrollment course, the student will earn one weighted high school credit as well as the designated number of college credits associated with the specific course from the designated community college. 

    Weighted Credit - Dual Enrollment courses are weighted by applying an additional 1.0 quality point to the quality point value assigned to the final grade. As an example, a final grade of “B” normally receives 3.0 quality points. In a dual enrollment course, a final grade of “B” receives 4.0 (3.0 + 1) quality points for purposes of calculating grade point average (GPA) and honor roll determination.

    Cost Costs associated with dual enrollment will be collected with registration/school fees at the beginning of the new school year. Tuition rates are posted each semester at the designated community college and are subject to change. If tuition rates increase for the spring semester, the student will be responsible for the additional amount.  Currently, BRCC pays 80% of the tuition and the student pays the remaining 20%. DSLCC pays 75% of the tuition and the student pays the remaining 25%.  At both institutions, the student is also responsible for cost of text books or any other associated fees.  

    Transferability –Normally, courses intended for transfer with a grade of “C” or above will transfer to institutions of higher education. However, no guarantee can be made for all colleges and universities. Students should consult with transfer institutions in order to determine if courses will be accepted for transfer.  Check out the Transfer Agreements and other useful tools at the Virginia Education Wizard (www.vawizard.org).  

    ** It is also important to note that students who complete dual enrollment courses should send a transcript from the college where courses were taken.