Blue Ridge Community College partners with local school divisions in Augusta County, Rockingham County, Staunton, Harrisonburg, and Waynesboro to provide career coaching services in all twelve public high schools in our area. Career Coach services include but are not limited to:
- Individual and small group career assessment;
- Career Exploration – informational interviews, job shadowing, internships, & interacting with local business and industry;
- Developing and updating career plans;
- Guidance on programs of study - certifications, career & technical centers, community colleges, & four year colleges and universities;
- Help with the college & financial aid application processes;
- Mock interviewing skills and resume & cover letter development; and
- Soft Skills – communication, problem solving, work ethic, time management and self-awareness
To schedule an appointment with our Career Coach, please stop by Guidance or email Mrs. Lane.
Meet Our Career Coach - Sheba Lane
Mrs. Sheba Lane serves as the Career Coach at Fort Defiance High School. In her role, she provides guidance for students in all grade levels as they explore and plan pathways toward success beyond high school. Whether a student is planning to attend college, join the military, or enter the workforce, the Career Coach can offer assistance in accomplishing all the necessary steps toward a smooth post-high school transition.
Mrs. Lane provides information for students through classroom presentations, small groups, and individual career guidance during the school day. She coordinates field trips, sets up “shadow” visits, and works with the community in a number of ways to help students experience the world that awaits them beyond their high school years. Parents wishing to schedule an appointment to join their teen in meetings with the Career Coach are welcome to call the school and join the exciting process of planning a great future for their favorite FDHS student.
Mrs. Lane has been a public school educator for 35 years. She holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Music Education and a Graduate Degree in School Administration; both from James Madison University. She is active as a clinician and conductor of regional honor bands and choirs throughout the state and enjoys singing and playing piano in many local churches. Mrs. Lane resides in Staunton with her husband, Doug. They enjoy spending time with their daughter (Maria) and son (Connor) as well as spoiling their aloof cat (Cheddar) and always entertaining dog (Maisie)..
Fort Defiance High School is fortunate to have Mrs. Lane as our Career Coach.