Parenting Classes by Office on Youth
Please contact Central Shenandoah Valley Office on Youth at (540) 942-6757 to register for any of the classes listed below:
- Loving Solutions
- 10-week series providing information and support presented by the Office on Youth
- "Major chore or homework issues? ADHD? Time outs not working?"--> Concrete, proven techniques for the toughest of kids
- Active Parenting
- A video and discussion program for parents of children ages 5-12
- The Parent Project
- Find resources to help: dramatically reduce arguments with your child, improve school attendance and performance
Children with Incarcerated Parents
- Camp Overlook is held every November in Harrisonburg, VA
- "A unique camp experience for children in grades 2-6 of incarcerated parents"
- "Focuses on self-esteem, conflict resolution, handling anger, and how to share feelings"
- "Children are reassured that they are not responsible for the actions of their parents and should not feel ashamed"
- "The camp is intended to help these children see ways to break patterns that may lead them into similar circumstances that their parent(s) are experiencing."
- "There is a volunteer mentor for every 2 campers"
- "All volunteers are screened and have completed background checks. They are committed to giving these children an uplifting weekend and will remain in mail contact throughout the school year"
- "Almost everything that is needed (except clothing) will be provided"
- Applications available in the Fall
- This camp is not sponsored by or affiliated with Augusta County Public Schools.
- "A weekend camp held in September for children and teens ages 6-18 who have experienced the loss, by death, of a parent, sibling, grandparent, friend, or someone significant in their life"
- "This camp is provided free of charge to campers"
- Contact inforation: (540) 932-4909 or (540) 332-4909
1) The Valley Mission
- "Temporary shelter, laundry facilities, hygiene items, infant needs, school supplies, meals, thrift store vouchers, food boxes for families in the neighborhood, referral services, limited utility services"
2) Augusta Free Dental Clininc
- Contcat Information: (540) 332-5619 or (540) 932-5619
3) Augusta Regional Free Clinic
- Contact Information: (540) 332-5606
4) Temporary Assistance through Safe & Healthy Families
- Call (540) 245-5800, listen to automated menu until prompted for Winter Energy Assistance
- Salvation Army: (540) 885-8157, ask to speak with Social Worker
- Corinne Brace, Service Worker. 245-5914 (energy assistance)
- Augusta County Library: (540) 885-3961 or (540) 949-6354
- Middlebrook Library Station
- Churchville Branch Library
- Craigsville Library Station
- Deerfield Library Station
- Waynesboro Library: (540) 942-6746
- Staunton Library: (540) 332-3902