Pumpkin Pear Waffles
Nutritional Info (Per serving):
Calories: 122, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 116mg, Dietary Fiber: 3g, Total Fat: 2g, Carbs: 22g, Sugars: 7g, Cholesterol: 71mg, Protein: 5g
1 cup(s) flour, whole-wheat pastry
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
2 egg(s), beaten
2 tablespoon sugar, brown
1/2 cup(s) pumpkin, pureed
1/4 cup(s) pear(s), finely diced
1. Mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Beat together the eggs and sugar. Add in the flour mixture. Fold in the pumpkin and pear. Pour batter into a hot waffle iron coated with nonstick cooking spray and cook until waffles are crisp and browned. The batter will make 3 waffles.
Chicken with Garden Vegetables
Makes 4 servings
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
1/2 cup hot water (divided)
1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 cup cut-up broccoli
2 medium carrots, cut into julienne strips
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves, if desired
Salt and pepper to taste, if desired
2 cups hot cooked wild and brown rice mix
1. Mix wheat germ and 1 teaspoon basil in plastic bag. Add 1 chicken breast half at a time and shake until evenly coated.
2. Spray 10-inch nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken in skillet 10 minutes, turning once, until golden brown.
3. Mix 1/4 cup hot water and the bouillon granules; pour into skillet. Cover and cook 5 to 10 minutes longer or until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm. Remove any chicken coating from skillet.
4. Heat 1/4 cup water to boiling in skillet; add lemon juice. Cook garlic in liquid in skillet 30 seconds. Stir in remaining ingredients except rice. Cover and cook over medium heat about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Spoon vegetables over rice. Serve with chicken.
Calories 280 (Calories from Fat 45)
Fat 5g (Saturated 1g)
Carbohydrate 32g (Dietary Fiber 4g)
____________________________________________________________________________________________Actually Delicious Turkey Burgers
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix ground turkey, seasoned bread crumbs, onion, egg whites, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. Form into 12 patties.
- Cook the patties in a medium skillet over medium heat, turning once, to an internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C).
Parmesan Baked Chicken Breasts
Prep Time: 7 mins
Cook Time: 26 mins
1/3 cup(s) bread crumbs, Italian-style
1/4 cup(s) cheese, Parmesan, grated
1/4 teaspoon pepper, black
2 clove(s) garlic, pressed
2 tablespoon oil, olive
24 ounce(s) chicken breast halves, 4 (6-oz) skinless, boneless breasts
1/2 cup(s) spaghetti sauce, fire-roasted tomato-and-garlic pasta sauce (such as Classico), warmed
2. Heat a large baking sheet in oven for 5 minutes.
3. Combine first 3 ingredients in a shallow dish.
4. Place garlic and oil in a small glass bowl, and microwave at HIGH 30 seconds or until warm and fragrant.
5. Dip chicken in garlic oil; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Coat preheated baking sheet with cooking spray, and place chicken on pan. Coat chicken with cooking spray.
6. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until done and golden. Serve with pasta sauce.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and 2 tablespoons pasta sauce).
Nutritional Info (Per serving):
Calories: 295, Saturated Fat: 2g, Sodium: 388mg, Dietary Fiber: 0.5g, Total Fat: 10g, Carbs: 7g, Cholesterol: 101mg, Protein: 41.5g
“Healthified" Chocolate Frosted Cupcakes
65% less sat fat • 46% fewer calories • 67% less fat than the original recipe.
Serving a healthy dessert at your next party? Let them eat cupcakes!
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 1 hour 20 min
Makes: 12 cupcakes
cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
cup granulated sugar
teaspoons baking powder
cup fat-free (skim) milk
cup unsalted butter or no-trans-fat 68% vegetable oil spread stick, softened
cups powdered sugar
cup unsweetened baking cocoa
tablespoons unsalted butter or no-trans-fat 68% vegetable oil spread stick, softened
to 3 tablespoons fat-free (skim) milk
· Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 12 regular-size muffin cups.
· In medium bowl, beat all cupcake ingredients except egg whites with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds; beat on medium speed 1 minute.
· Add egg whites; beat on medium speed 1 minute. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
· Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and tops just begin to brown. Cool 2 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
· In medium bowl, mix powdered sugar, cocoa, 2 tablespoons butter, 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk with electric mixer on low speed. Gradually beat in just enough of remaining milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable. Spread frosting over cupcakes.
1 Cupcake: Calories 230 (Calories from Fat 70); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 4 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 130mg; Total Carbohydrate 38g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 26g); Protein 3g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 6% Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.DISAPPEARING ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
Note: You don't have to peel the zucchini before shredding it for this recipe. It won't affect the taste and the peel will provide some extra fiber.
Prep time: 30 minutes
What you need:
1½ c. shredded zucchini (about 2 small)
2 c. whole-grain pancake or biscuit mix
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
¾ c. brown sugar
¼ c. unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
powdered sugar (enough to dust the muffins)
What to do:
1. Wash zucchini and remove ends.
2. Shred zucchini using largest holes on grater.
3. Wrap grated zucchini in a couple of paper towels and squeeze to remove water.
4. Measure 1½ cups of squeezed-dry zucchini.
5. Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
6. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
7. In a large bowl, mix whole-grain pancake mix (or biscuit mix) with spices.
8. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, applesauce, and lemon juice.
9. Fold the egg-sugar mixture and shredded zucchini into the pancake-spice mixture; do not overmix.
10. Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with batter.
11. Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden.
12. Remove muffins from tin (with help from your adult assistant) and cool on a wire rack.
13. Sprinkle muffins with a dusting of powdered sugar.
How much does this recipe make?
About a dozen muffins.