Thank you for your interest in RHS Drama!
There are several ways to be involved in the theatrical arts at Riverheads!
Opportunities at Riverheads
- Speech and Drama is a class offered at RHS that lets you explore all aspects of theatre including performance, make-up, costuming, etc.
- Drama Club is a school club that meets several times in school each semester to play theatre games, rehearse performances, and support RHS Drama in any upcoming productions.
- VHSL One-Act is an adjudicated (judged) theatre competition in the fall. Auditions and rehearsals for the One-Act take place after school. The competitions are on Saturdays, typically late October and/or early November (depending if we advance). The 2019 dates have not yet been announced.
- Spring Play/Musical for the community. Auditions and rehearsals take place after school. The tentative date is April 3 & 4, 2020.
- RHS Drama also typically performs a short holiday play for the student body and creates skits for the school variety show.
What type of commitment does RHS Drama require?
You can choose your level of involvement, but once you make a commitment to a project, it is expected that you will follow through. Drama productions require a tremendous team effort.
You can choose to audition and be involved on stage, you may wish to commit to helping backstage with costumes, props, effects, etc., you may want to learn about lighting and sound, or you may wish to help with advertising, programs, and tickets if you do not have as much free time.
It is possible to take part in RHS Drama and another club/sport at the same time as long you openly communicate with both coaches and set-up a balanced schedule.
Are there any requirements?
Yes, you will need to be academically eligible for competition in the one-act. You cannot have failed any courses in the last marking period and you may not be failing any current classes.
For other performances, the drama coaches require that you not have any grades below a C to be a full-time cast/crew member.
You must also be able to stay after school as needed for rehearsals and be committed to fulfilling your role/duty to the performance. You are expected to attend all scheduled rehearsals.
What are the next steps to becoming involved?
There will be an informational meeting in Señora Gavitt’s room (B118 – next to the cafeteria) after school on Tuesday, August 13th until 4:30. Pay attention to announcements for more details.
To join Remind, text @kmrtdrama to 81010
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you in Drama!!! Stop by any of our rooms if you have questions!
Ms. Gavitt (B118,Spanish)